ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Software suggestions for controlling a Yaesu FT-920

Dec 8th 2013, 03:03

N1EDM

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I'm getting back into ham radio but I'm a little rusty after 15 years. I have a nice Yaesu FT-920 (bought in 1998) but the way things are set up, it's tough to get at.

I'd like to control it remotely with my PC. What are the best softwares out there for general operation and some mild contesting?

Also, will the FT-920 operate using a serial-to-USB cable, and if so, do I need special drivers/interfaces???

Thanks in advance,

Bob, N1EDM
Dec 9th 2013, 14:26

W1VT

Super Moderator

I did a web search and found this free control program

http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/

You need to make sure that the the driver for your USB/serial converter is compatible with the operating system of your computer. Alternately, one can install a serial card in a desktop computer to avoid the need for converters. Though this does not eliminate the need for finding drivers compatible with your current operating system.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Dec 10th 2013, 14:15

N0NB

The FT-920 has a standard RS-232 serial port built in and all that is needed is a normal serial serial cable with a DE-9 at the radio end (male on the cable, if I recall correctly--check your manual).

Full remote control is likely not possible, power on and off, as an example, and there are certain oddities with the main and sub VFO handling as I recall. The manual doesn't document a command code for PTT but in my experimentation I found that the same command code used for PTT on the FT-890 also worked on the FT-920 so I enabled PTT control for the FT-920 in Hamlib and never received a complaint/bug report about it. The one I had was made in '97 so the firmware was likely consistent throughout the run. I don't recall if the built in antenna tuner was controllable or not, and so on.

Many programs, such as loggers, only control VFO frequency and mode. A small program that gives a generic control GUI is grig available on nearly all Linux distributions.

Good luck!

73, de Nate
N0NB.us

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn