ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

RTTY with arduino and HF rig ?

Oct 21st 2013, 11:34

N4AAB

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have an Alinco DX-SR8T, a Vista desktop computer with USB but no serial ports, and two arduino r3 Unos.

Besides cable and software, what else do I need to accomplish rtty with this setup ?

I am a General class licensee.

Thanks.

Jim/KF5VPK
Oct 21st 2013, 14:59

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/MiniUSB
This page shows how to turn your Arduino hardware into something that can interface with USB.

You then need some sort of soundcard interface--it is best to transformer couple the audio to get rid of digital common mode noise---this ought to be pretty easy to put together if you can build a USB interface.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Oct 21st 2013, 16:37

aa6e

The Arduino Uno has USB built in, so that shouldn't be a problem. The main question is the software and the hook-up. There are several projects you can find if you Google for "Arduino RTTY", but it's not clear to me that any of them are "plug and play" - i.e. easy for the beginner.

73 Martin AA6E
Oct 21st 2013, 20:25

N4AAB

I have years of tech support experience and a programming degree... albeit it has been years since I wrote a computer program. I can think logically.

Unfortunately my computer has a flakey sound chip, and no place to place in a card. I have noticed external sound cards for various devices.

I also have a small linux ( Mint, I forget the version number) desktop I can use.

Thanks. I see lots of site hits for arduino rtty.
Oct 22nd 2013, 13:06

aa6e

There are many inexpensive USB "sound cards" (sometimes they are just a dongle) that should be good enough for RTTY and digimodes. Check Amazon, E-bay or other online sources. You wouldn't need the Arduino. (But Arduinos are fun!)
Oct 23rd 2013, 10:28

N4AAB

My desktop computers are small form factor. I have a couple of ham radio catalogs, one has external sound card devices listed.

Yeah, no need for the arduino, but I got a light to blink on one... :-) My relatives see it as a costume idea. I have two, my relatives and I can share them.

I downloaded mmty. I found another one, but it is for XP which I don't have.

Thanks for the help !
Jan 4th 2014, 23:15

N4AAB

While I can find a number of places that mention arduino and ham radio, even the ARRL 'Arduino and PICAXE' book, no where can I find an explanation on what cables programs, etc. I need for this hookup.

I did find a method of getting my computer and my radio to use dgitial modes together, but it doesn't use an arduino. The cost, around $120 dollars not including shipping, precludes me from getting it for now.
Nov 3rd 2015, 12:08

KC1ENN

Internet search for UK high altitude balloon society, UKHAS.

These folks have lots of projects that use Arduino micro-controllers and inexpensive mW transmitters. They provide example code for RTTY and Feld Hell. I made a 70cm beacon for less than $5 USD using an atmega328p and rfm22b.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn