ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Connecting DT 109 Headphones to Ham Gear

Feb 26th 2013, 14:43

mattchao@verizon.net

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hi, Folks. My name is Matt Chao, (N1IBB), and I just received a set of Beyer DT 109 headphones from my brother. He'd done some research, and learned that lots of hams use these 'phones'. I have two Kenwood multiband VHF rigs, and a Tentec 525 Argosy. What do I need to do to make these headphones operational, and where can I get the proper cabling to make it happen? I'm totally blind, and unfamiliar with soldering, so a ready-made fix would be best. Thanks in advance.--Matt, N1IBB
Feb 26th 2013, 15:20

W1VT

Super Moderator

I'd suggest contacting Heil Sound. It may be a good idea to find out from your brother the connector used--according to what I've read it is likely to be a 4 or 5 pin XLR connector, but Beyer doesn't have a "standard" connector, according to its web site.

http://www.heilsound.com/amateur/products/index.php

Zack Lau
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Feb 26th 2013, 15:27

mattchao@verizon.net

Hi, Zack. Yes, I've looked at the cable, and it has an XLR connector at one end; came with two cables like that; must be two different impedance cables. Thanks for the link.--Matt, N1IBB
Feb 26th 2013, 16:24

W1VT

Super Moderator

You may have a headset, which has a both a microphone and headphones.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Feb 26th 2013, 22:20

mattchao@verizon.net

Hi, Zack. Went to the Website you recommended, and they don't custom-make cables for the DT 109's, only for their stuff. any more ideas? Thanks.--Matt
Feb 27th 2013, 14:26

W1VT

Super Moderator

Heil makes XLR to ham radio cables.
A problem is that there is no standardization of ham mic cables, so Heil has taken the approach of selling specialty cables from a "standard" to what is required by popular radios. But, even XLR isn't a true standard, in that I've read about XLR connectors having different numbers of pins!

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn