ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

W1AW transmitting without checking for clear freq

Jan 21st 2012, 02:51

brantlyjack

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Why is it that W1AW can begin broadcasting without checking if the frequency is in use?
Jan 22nd 2012, 11:05

brantlyjack

It's hard to believe no one has commented on this post.
Jan 23rd 2012, 20:00

WA7RBC

I think they do have a procedure for checking the frequency. Perhaps someone will tell us the details.
Jan 23rd 2012, 21:01

W2CSH

They publish a schedule electronically and in print now just as they have done for thq past fifty years. I get it every week. They use the same frequencies and the same times. Seems to me that you could look at the schedule then look at the clock and pick a different frequency.
Jan 24th 2012, 11:12

brantlyjack

Hi John,

In response to your email regarding W1AW’s code practice transmissions.

W1AW is the only station that operates under the provisions of 97.113(d). These rules were written by FCC staff years ago specifically to permit W1AW to continue to provide CW practice and information bulletins to the Amateur Radio community. The rules require that the station transmit CW practice and information bulletins for at least 40 hours per week, schedule operation on at least six MF and HF bands using reasonable measures to maximize coverage, and publish the schedule of normal operating times and frequencies at least 30 days in advance of the actual transmissions.

In order to conform to the rule it is necessary for W1AW to operate in accordance with the published schedule. Therefore, I must be on those published frequencies and at their published times.

Aside from technical or weather-related issues that would otherwise prevent me from being on-air at our scheduled frequencies and times, I must abide by our published schedule. I cannot arbitrarily make a change (frequency, time, mode, date, etc.) without giving 30 days advanced notice.

I understand this explanation may not sit well with some amateurs. My only hope is that they understand the overall mission of W1AW. And, that while we use and publish these frequencies, obviously we don’t claim to own them.

Thank you for writing.

Joseph Carcia, NJ1Q

W1AW Station Manager

W1AW ListServer Admin.

DXAC(I) & CAC(I) Lists Admin.

DX-CHECK (I) & VUAC (I) Lists Admin.

ARRL Museum

email: nj1q@arrl.org

Phone: (860) 594-0208

Fax: (860) 594-0299

http://www.arrl.org/w1aw

EXPLORE ARRL