ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Ron Block on Disconnecting Antennas for Lightning

Sep 6th 2022, 09:14

snethej

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Almost every experienced Ham operator I know disconnects their antennas during a storm (including Steve Ford). I listened to Ron Block on Eclectic Tech #65 and he said to Steve that doing that was a very bad idea. The only place I found that might lead to that conclusion was Chapter 4 of the Grounding and Bonding book (2nd edition) in a note that said a properly designed station, the equipment could be left connected and powered on (noting that you shouldn't be in the room).

Is there a place in the book or online that I missed which discusses you should never disconnect your antennas during a storm? There's lots of info and I have a leaky brain, so it's very possible I missed it.

Thanks.
Sep 7th 2022, 08:48

W1VT

Super Moderator

Page 6.38 discusses inadequate lightning protection when operating a temporary station. It says you should be prepared to disconnect or lower the antennas if there is any chance of lighting in the area.
Sep 7th 2022, 10:16

snethej

Thanks, W1VT! That got me to where I needed to go. I was really interested in data related to a permanent station, but you got me to the note on the bottom page 6.33, which basically says to disconnect everything (from the outside) if you have an inadequate grounding/bonding system. I think that implies to not disconnect with a proper grounding/bonding system. It also brought up another place I need to fix for a proper system. Thanks again!

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn