ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Reading out-of-print books or books only available as print

Apr 29th 2022, 18:26

KK4MRN

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hello ARRL Members and Management,

Is anyone from ARRL management reading this?
If not, can you forward this topic to them please?

I see good ARRL books go out-of-print like Experimental Methods in RF Design by Wes Haward, etc.

Sad.

What could be the reason they go out-of-print? Not selling well so it does not justify the expense?

What about taking these books and make them a Kindle book or ebook we can download and buy? This way the ARRL/Publisher and the authors are still compensated. And we still get to read a great book in a legal way.

Or like you have the magazines like QST, On Air, QEX available for members to read online or on the Apple device or Google device; is it possible to also be able to read books from ARRL including out-of-print books too? We are able to read old issues or old articles of QST online too.

Maybe ARRL could charge an extra $5.99 fee per month or an extra $59 fee per year so hams could read any ARRL book including books out-of-print many, many years ago like Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur by Wes Haward and Doug DeMaw. Or think of all those old ARRL Handbooks from the 60s and 70s that are prized by hams. This allows all members to be able to look at these old ARRL Handbooks for years past. I say extra because this is in addition to the annual membership fee. This could bring in revenue for the ARRL and the authors of these books. It may even encourage more hams to contribute books.

If yes to above, is there a possibility to include books online that are not from ARRL, such as, RadCom, W5YI, etc.?

Or have you considered working out a deal with Oreilly to host ARRL books online including out-of-print books via the book subscriptions at Oreilly? I have sent an email to Oreilly asking them to consider some idea.

Not sure if anyone will read this or reply, but I hope they do.

When I talk to hams that I want to go to the next level in ham radio from building kits and operating to home brewing my own designs, I want to have an idea what the path is to get there. Some Elmers have suggested reading books like Experimental Methods in RF Design which will give me some of the background needed to design and home brew my own radios.

So ARRL members and management, what do you think?

Thank you reading this,
Daniel Morgan, KK4MRN in South Carolina

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn