ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

OCFD

Jan 30th 2022, 18:41

Woodrow

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0

Got my General license recently. I got an RadioWAVZ DX 80 Short OFC antenna, Icom 7300 power supply and a automatic antenna tuner. I got the antenna at around 18 feet in an inverted v configuration. I am getting high swr across all bands. Can't seem to get any transmit power out my antenna. Winter weather set in on me and can't seem to get a good day to work on it, Can receive pretty well. Would appreciate any advice being as I am new to this. Thanks
Feb 3rd 2022, 12:11

K0WUQ

I am not familiar with the equipment you named (heck, I'm not familiar with ANY modern gear), but I notice you haven't said anything about your feed line from tuner to antenna. Make sure this is exactly what's recommended, end connections are solid, etc. SWR problems are usually the result of an impedance mis-match at one end or the other.

Larry K0WUQ
Feb 18th 2022, 20:11

Woodrow

Checked the connections, all good . using RG58. Still working on it . Hoping for better weather. Thanks
Feb 19th 2022, 10:47

W1VT

Super Moderator

The manufacturer specifies a minimum height of 25 feet.
Low horizontal antennas rarely work well due to losses caused by close proximity to the ground.

It may be detuned by nearby electrical wiring. These days electrical wiring is often very noisy due to the electrical and electronic devices attached. Moving the antenna away is sometimes more practical than fixing the devices.

You may want to get it higher up and farther away from any buildings.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn