ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Lightning Strike Diagnostic Protocol IC-7300

Oct 13th 2021, 20:21

syzygetic

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hey all! So I was on the air here in Washington DC until a couple months ago, when lightning hit my house and fried almost everything electronic in it. My antenna tuner is definitely toast, my antenna is burned a bit.

However, my IC-7300 powers on. I have no antenna, so I can't really tell if it's actually able to receive or transmit, but I can validate that all functions through the screen work.

I am not up for rebuilding my shack and whatnot, I'm just done with the hobby until I have more time again, but I do want to know if the radio works, at least, and I don't mind buying a little gear to validate it.

So, if you had a radio which was suspect, and nothing else around it survived, what would you do to validate function? Is there any standard battery of tests you'd run?
Oct 15th 2021, 12:42

W1VT

Super Moderator

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I would attach a ten or fifteen foot length of wire to the center pin of a PL-259 to act as a simple receive antenna. Plug that into the input of the rig.

Then I'd listen on the FT8 frequencies, starting off with 14.074 MHz USB.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn