ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Effect of nearby metal roof on HF and VHF antenna

Sep 13th 2021, 20:06

KA0GWU

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Greetings! I have an extremely small backyard and have two antennas installed a no name HF multi band and a MFJ 6M/2M two segment antenna. Right now they are located about 8 ft from a wooden gazebo with a metal roof. I am about to replace the HF with a Hustler 6-BTV and am wondering if I should move it away from the gazebo. The basic question is: how much am I losing in performance with the antenna locations right now and is it worth the effort to move the HF or possibly both thr HF and the VHF. Thanks!
Sep 13th 2021, 20:34

W1VT

Super Moderator

You may want to figure some way of using the metal roof as the ground plane for the Hustler vertical antenna.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Sep 13th 2021, 20:44

KA0GWU

Unfortunately I cannot mount the antenna to the roof as it is not strong enough to hold the antenna nor will my HOA allow it (I am skirting the rules as it is
Sep 14th 2021, 14:57

W1VT

Super Moderator

The most practical way to see the difference is with on the air testing. Pay particular attention to the noise level on the different bands. Hamspots.net will collect FT8 signal reports for you. The Reverse Beacon Network can be used to collect CW signal reports.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn