ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

RF gain Vs Squelch

Sep 4th 2021, 05:49

JohnCinFloyd

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I have an Yaesu Ft 857D that has a configurable RF gain/Squelch knob. My question is when do you use the RFgain function vs when you use the squelch? If I set the knob to squelch the background noise is quiet, but I feel I am not hearing all the available signals that may be out there. I am mostly interested in CW mode. Are there any experienced hams that might give me some pointers?
Sep 25th 2021, 21:40

W9BRD

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
John, squelch is a feature that's mainly used for voice work, especially FM voice, the "band noise" of which can be loud when no received signal is coming in. For CW reception, don't use the squelch mode at all, but if you do, the squelch set so you can hear signals (and noise :-) ) all the time.

The RF GAIN function is intended to be used mainly, and optionally, during reception of strong to very strong signals, to reduce background noise when no incoming signal is present.

I realize that the two paragraphs above may seem to be saying the same thing; the difference between them is more about which mode you're using. For CW and SSB, use the RF GAIN mode, but (usually) keep the RF GAIN up all the way most of the time. For FM, use the squelch mode.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn