ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

2 kHz third order dynamic range on TS-590S

Mar 19th 2021, 18:00

KR2F

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Hello.

I am in the final stages of making a decision between an Icom IC-7300 and a Kenwood TS-590SG. I was initially leaning toward the Icom, partially because I have never owned an Icom and also it is an SDR and has the spectral display. I have looked at various comparisons and the only thing making me hesitate is the 2kHz 3rd order dynamic range spec. There is a considerable difference between the two, leaning in favor of the Kenwood, but I cannot say for certain how much of a difference it will make. The Icom's is 95 dB and the Kenwood's is 106 dB. They are both very good radios for their price class, plus I know the Icom seems to have more bang for the buck, and I was looking forward to playing with the SDR and spectral display also. IOW, I am really not sure what I want to do. What does the hive mind think about this spec?

By the way, I currently have a Kenwood TS-570S, so the TS-590 would be a bit easier for me to familiarize myself with, but that's not necessarily a big deal for me.

Thank you.
Vin KR2F
Mar 22nd 2021, 10:50

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

The ARRL Test Engineer says that unless you have a high gain antenna, atop of a tower, you may not have enough signal voltage at the antenna jack to warrant a 3 IMD DR of over 100 dB (I've seen contest & DX stations that need 100+ dB). If you have a G5RV, a vertical, or a 3L beam, you will never experience IMD, unless you have two very strong local stations on at the same time, spaced evenly apart in frequency (2&4 kHz away, in this example). Granted, signals can be very strong on the lower bands (160 & 80 meters), but the IMD products, if any, are usually far below the local noise floor (not receiver noise floor).
Mar 22nd 2021, 11:15

KR2F

This is precisely the sort of information I was looking for. Thank you very much.
Mar 23rd 2021, 08:26

WB1GCM

Super Moderator

You are very welcome!

Bob Allison
WB1GCM
ARRL Test Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn