ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Can a dipole antenna be folded on a roof to make it fit

Mar 7th 2021, 18:11

wb3hus

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
HI everyone I have question can a 160 or smaller dipole be bent to fit on a small roof with no problems and will it work well?
Thanks
Rich (wb3hus)
Apr 29th 2021, 15:38

ab8jc

Hi Rich! Specifics will depend on the folding pattern. SWR may be considerably different from the expected 70-odd ohms. Performance will be impaired; how much, again, depends on the folding pattern. If you have the bad luck to fold it such that the RF cancels out, it might be pretty useless. You could try modeling it in a free version of NEC, or just install it & find out empirically. Personally, I'd consider trying 40 first. Be a lot easier to install, require less bending, and take up less space. My house is roughly 26' x 26', and I think folding an 80M dipole to fit that roof, and still have decent performance, would be tough. But, I've neither modeled nor tried it. Good luck!
Steve
Apr 30th 2021, 07:30

W1VT

Super Moderator

I have a 70x110 ft back yard. I found an Inverted L with elevated radials to work well on 160M. I have both WAS and DXCC from Connecticut.

Zak W1VT

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn