ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

FM/WFM Questions

Apr 27th 2020, 18:04

jeffrymcgee

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I looked up the repeaters in my area in the Repeater Book and programmed my Yaesu VX-6R HT. I could receive clear conversations on repeaters as far away as 50 miles. I could transmit on repeaters 17, 20, and 24 miles away from my backyard and I received feedback that I could be heard clearly. All of this was done with the repeaters set to FM (narrow band) in my HT. My volume was set at about 25% of the way up.

When I joined my local radio club, they gave me a list of area repeaters, most of them I had already programmed into my HT. See above. I noticed the information I received from my radio club said the repeaters broadcast on WFM (wide band). So I reprogrammed the repeaters in my radio to WFM.

Now a receive a lot of noise when I listen to a conversation. I have to turn the volume up to at least 50% to hear a conversation. Feedback on my transmissions was that I was coming in noisy.

All of the information I've read said I will receive more noise with a WFM setting, but I should be able to hear conversations better on WFM. I'm not finding this to be true.

Could someone please tell me their experience with these settings? Thank you in advance.
Apr 28th 2020, 09:13

jeffrymcgee

I want to follow-up on my original post. I was able to check-in on two nets last night. The first check-in was on the repeater 17 miles away and the second check-in was on the repeater 20 miles away. Both nets heard me clearly the first time I called in. I'll try a different net tonight on the repeater that's 24 miles away a see what happens.

I'm still getting a lot of noise and am constantly adjusting my squelch, but if I can get out okay, that's the most important thing.
Apr 28th 2020, 10:17

W1VT

Super Moderator

According to the specifications on page 105 of the VX-6R manual NFM is 12/35kHz wide and WFM is 200/500kHz wide.
It is clear to me that NFM is intended for ham repeaters and WFM is for FM broadcast, based on the Yaesu manual.

The confusion results from the recent introduction of 2.5kHz deviation instead of 5kHz deviation for the Public Service bands. They call the new stuff narrow and the old stuff wide, just as they always have when the deviation of FM gets narrowed for a new service.

https://www.fcc.gov/narrowbanding-overview
What is the purpose of narrowbanding?
The 150-174 MHz and 421-512 MHz frequency bands are congested with limited frequency availability for implementation of new systems or expansion of existing systems. Narrowbanding to at least 12.5 kHz efficiency technology will enable licensees to operate more efficiently, either with narrower channel bandwidths or an increased number of voice paths or higher data rate per channel.

The new FCC rules went into effect in 2013. The VX-6R was released in 2006. It may take years for the Japanese to understand changes in American culture.

Zak W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Apr 28th 2020, 13:17

jeffrymcgee

W1VT, thank you for your reply. I think you've answered my question.
Apr 29th 2020, 11:37

jeffrymcgee

Just to wrap this thread up, I set my repeater settings on my VX-6R back to FM from WFM and that cleared up the noise. I also checked-in to the local ARES repeater 20 miles away and was heard clearly. So, problem solved. A big shout out goes to W1VT who pointed me to my radio's user manual, which I've read numerous times but missed page 105 for some reason. Thank you! 73
Jun 15th 2020, 16:42

Sallen01

Hi, my name is Steve, WD4JIX, I have a ICOM 746 transceiver, When i go to FM mode, my S-meter goes out the top.(+60), alot of static. I can barely hear the identification of a local repeater. I can hit the repeater just fine, but with all the constant static, i can barely hear anybody on the receiving end. Should i do a factory reset of the transceiver's CPU ? Thanks
Jun 16th 2020, 20:45

W1VT

Super Moderator

Hi Steve,

You may have a local noise source that is interfering with the repeater. I'd suggest listening on a battery powered radio and shutting off power to the entire house via the main circuit breaker. Then wait a while for stuff to power down.
Another idea is to use a handheld radio to listen from multiple locations.

Zak Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn