ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Array vs End feed vs Dipole

Feb 8th 2019, 15:00

W4CWL

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Is there any advantage of a vertical array in either the broadside, endfire, or cardioid configuration vs an End Feed vs a Dipole?

If I understand correctly, an array could generate some gain in one or two directions. I'm not so sure about the end feed or the dipole.
Feb 9th 2019, 06:56

W1VT

Super Moderator

An array of four verticals is popularly configured as a "four square,"

https://k7nv.com/id16.htm
Jan 14th 2022, 20:46

WB5EMX

This is a very old post, so I can assume that you've learned what you needed to know, but I will make my comments here. The dipole is a simple antenna that will work wo a tuner on it's frequency, and multiples of that freq. A 40 meter dipole will work on 15 meters, and an 80 meter dipole will work on 10 meters. Add a tuner, and you can work a few more bands. It's easy to put up and get you on the air for Field Day if you are going for ease and speed. It's slightly directional with nulls on the ends. On the other end of things, if you build up a Four Square Array of verticals, you can operate switches in your shack, or go out and switch them in the yard, and you can steer the directivity in any direction you want it to go. But you have had to put forth a whole lot of effort to achieve that luxury. By an End Feed, I believe you are speaking of an End Fed Long Wire. Here you pretty much need to have an antenna tuner. If you have a fairly long length of wire, and have it up the higher the better, you can achieve good propagation with relatively little directivity. Good Luck!

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn