ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Mobile radio protection on very rough roads

Sep 26th 2011, 17:41

AF6WI

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
My wife and I camp in Death Valley and many of the roads are extremely rough -- washboard, potholes, big rocks, and such. The truck takes quite a pounding, and I'm concerned about my amateur radios being beaten to death on the way to and from our campsite. We've got a TS-480 and FT-8900R.

I know they're solid state, but I find it hard to accept that they'll survive without some sort of damping. I've thought of suspending the radio between the ceiling and floor on bungee cords or using some kind of padding, but the washboard vibrations and the potholes and rocks are different enough shocks that I think I may need more kinds of protection than one.

Any suggestions?
Sep 27th 2011, 05:06

KE8DO

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I would think that the radios should be able to take it. When I was in the navy, I remember that some of the radio transmitters were mounted on springs, about 3 inches tall. You could try something like that, but smaller. The transmitters were 6 feet tall. The ship was build in WW2, USS Franklin D Roosevelt, CVA-42. She had 5 inch guns when she was first built, so I guess that is why the springs were necessary, also, tube type transmitters.
73 Don KE8DO

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn