ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

R-7 and metal roof

Sep 25th 2011, 21:02

KA0LDG

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Will my Cushcraft R-7 vertical de-tune or will I have other issues if I mount it a few feet over a metal storage shed (roof is metal too)? I would rather mount it ~ 7-8 feet above the ground, so no one comes in contact with the ground counterpoise wires or any other part of the antenna. TNX!
Sep 26th 2011, 05:53

KE8DO

Any metal is going to de-tune the antenna, the question is by how much. I would not think that it would be that much. You should mount it at the new location and then check it. If it goes lower in frequency, as I would guess, then you would want to shorten it some and check it again. You should be able to use the manual for the antenna as a guide as to how much to shorten or lengthen it.
73 Don KE8DO
Sep 30th 2011, 10:42

W1RFIAdmin

If the antenna is mounted on the roof, with the metal roof underneath it, this really should not "detune" the antena, although the resonance of an antenna/ground system does vary a bit with the conductivity of the ground.

If anything, the metal roof will act as a ground plane, which could improve the efficiency of the vertical somewhat.

This is not without its caveats, however. See my response on the "metal roof and longwire antenna" thread for some important thngs to consider.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab
Technical forums moderator
Oct 11th 2011, 20:40

rwpjr@tampabay.rr.com

I had an R-7 mounted a foot above the top of a chimney that had a metal cap. The antenna was seriously detuned, especially on 40 meters, where resonance was about 6.8 mHz. I raised it up several feet above the top, and that improved but did not completely resolve the issue. It's not the same as a metal roof, but an example of what might happen.

.............Bob
Aug 30th 2016, 17:03

K7WYR

I live in a mobile home, I would like to run a ocfd over the entire length of my mobile to a tree in back of home. this will maybe run at a 45 degree angle towards the tree. the short part of the antenna will be at the low end, with a house knob screwed into the peak. will this cause any problems as i run 100 watts. Thanks Doug K7WYR.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn