ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Accu-Keyer and Accu-Memory Boards or Artwork

Nov 26th 2017, 18:07

WA2FTV

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Greetings Everybody,

I hope that this is the right area for this question.

I am wondering if anybody knows if there is a source for the artwork (circuit board layout) for the Accu-Keyer designed by WB4VVF and the Accu-Memory designed by WB4VVF along with W4YUU in 1973 and 1975 respectively.

I doubt that the circuit boards are available. If they are I would purchase a set or two.

I have downloaded the articles from ARRL's website. The circuit board layouts are not clear.

While in college in the late 1970's, I built an Accu-Keyer. I would like to build a second one due to job travel. I never built the Accu-Memory. I would like to build one, maybe two.

I believe that I have located a few sources for parts on the secondary market.

The original design uses the 7400 series of TTL logic chips. Does anybody know or have experience with the other TTL logic families (74LS, 74HC, 74HCT, etc.) in these designs and know how well the Accu-Keyer and Accu-Memory would operate? Any issues to be aware of?

I know that you do not mix families of logic types. What every I purchase will be of the same family.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You and 73's

Cedric
WA2FTV
Nov 26th 2017, 21:10

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.farcircuits.net/Keyers.html
Check with FAR Circuits

https://electronicsclub.info/74series.htm
A big consideration is what you intend to use as a power supply. Modern stand-alone keyers typically run off batteries but that wasn't the case with early keyers like the Accu Keyer.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Nov 30th 2017, 16:58

WA2FTV

I contacted FAR Circuits as suggested.

They never made these circuit boards. So they do not have the files.

I seem to recall that circuit board artwork for a variety of projects was in the annual ARRL hand book some years back. Does anyone know if the artwork was published in the ARRL handbook and what years for the Accu-Keyer and Accu-Memory?

Contributors on the various ham radio forums have indicated that the artwork might be in the 1977 ARRL handbook. Can someone verify this info?

FAR Circuits can make the circuit boards from a good copy.

The articles that I downloaded from the ARRL website included the artwork for the circuit boards, however, they were not clear copies. You can barely see the traces.

Any assistance that can be provided would be appreciated.

Thank You and 73's

Cedric
WA2FTV

Nov 30th 2017, 17:58

W1VT

Super Moderator

The author sold circuit boards. When this occurs it is quite common for good artwork to be unobtainable. In that time frame hams would make one-off circuit boards by first drilling the holes, and then using tape or a resist pen to join the holes.

https://www.zl2pd.com/keyer.html
He made a board using nail polish as a resist.

Page 366 of the 1978 ARRL Handbook has the same artwork that appears in the QST article. The parts layout information would have to be removed and light see thru traces would need to become opaque.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Dec 9th 2018, 09:14

AndyNealG

I have many sets of accu keyer boards and kits complete with instruction. These were given to me by my club apparently from an estate. E-mail me back at garello@aol.com if anyone is interested.
Each set has a board, a kit bag with transistors, resistors, caps and ICs and original instructions and schematics.
Andy Garello KM4TRT

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn