ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Antenna Regulation and Zoning S1685/HR1301

Jun 15th 2016, 02:07

KG6TPA

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
The "Amateur Radio Parity Act" (Senate Bill 1685 and House Bill 1301) seem fine as they currently stand; that is, without the proposed amendment described in the ARRL news item "06/07/2016 | ARRL, Community Associations Institute Find Common Ground on Parity Act Language".

Of note are two items in the amendment:
(1) having to notify an "HOA" prior to erecting an antenna and
(2) changing the name as originally proposed.

I am not in a mandatory HOA and the changes do not affect me directly but many of my fellow ham operators are.

The bills should be passed as written and the ARRL should NOT support the amendments.

Such restrictions that prevent antennas should never be recognized since they fly in the face of existing Federal regulations. It has long been my understanding that contracts cannot evade laws just because the contract is constructed with that purpose.

It is reasonable to keep some sense of aesthetics and friendly cooperation with neighbors but the current environment of overbearing HOAs is very unreasonable.

Jul 20th 2017, 18:01

N6ETE

Given that the Senate has now sponsored the bill after it passed in the House, it looks like this has a very good chance of getting passed in the near future. As I do live in a HOA restricted location I am interested in taking advantage of the change when it becomes signed into law.

One thing though. Does that league have any presentation materials that are ready that can be used state what constitutes an effective outdoor antenna? It would be helpful in getting the HOA approval that will still be necessary.

Aug 1st 2017, 17:25

W6NCT

With the amendments, (IMHO) the current "Amateur Radio Parity Act" (Senate Bill 1534 and House Bill 555, under the 115th Congress) now do MORE HARM THAN GOOD, for the Amateur Radio Community (especially the poor souls that reside under the thumb of an HOA)!

Isn't anyone else upset and/or concerned about this Congressional "bait-and-switch"?

If you don't believe me, read them for yourselves (see https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/555/text and https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1534/text ).

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn