ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

questions about AM broadcast band images

Aug 24th 2015, 13:20

AB3FN

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I want to explore the spectrum below the AM broadcast band. The second IF in my late-model triple-conversion radio is 455 kHz, and I'm getting swamped with broadcast band images. E.g., an AM station broadcasting on x kHz has a powerful image at x-910 kHz. My radio is a modern one, but I live near a large metropolitan area with a lot of AM broadcasters.

Is this a common problem with modern radios? Any comments about specific brands / models? I've had marginal results with a home-brew filter - any suggestions about filters? Of course, I'm only interested in receiving, not transmitting.

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Aug 24th 2015, 13:34

W1VT

Super Moderator

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Yes, I'd say this is a common problem with multiple conversion radios--adding the extra filters required to eliminate images from very strong stations is expensive.

One way around this is to use a simple direct conversion receiver--the only image is the opposite sideband. Software Defined Radio or SDR technologies can easily get rid of this image.

Another SDR approach that eliminates images is to directly sample the signal at RF.

Zack Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn