ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

question about wi-fi routers

Aug 15th 2015, 23:28

wd6ejn

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Ratherer then re-posting this, I was hoping that someone would see it again and answer my question.
I do not have any portable internet devices such as every one else, so it might take me a long time to get to a library to see replies to this post,,sorry about this.
I am have not gotten around to trying to understand the "Mesh System" which was written up in qst a long time ago but what I am wondering is: can I have digital simplex wireless microphones rather then the video that was used in the system?
And I want to hook all these toghether around the block without the internet.
This would be like one big "conference call" for all to keep in touch especially shut ins.
Many folks cannot afford computers and the internet.
This is especially important during a disaster.
As with the mesh system, can we just use used Linksys routers?
apparenty these are just thrown away as there are so many updates to the technology used.

I don't really know much about routers or computers, but how is it that they are able to have so many users on one Wi-Fi channel?
Does each user have assigned to it another channel? or frequency.
The reason I am curious, I have been wanting to have a neighbor eoc or neighborhood watch using low power transmitters probably wireless microphones that just go around the block.
I am used to hearing more then one ssb signals around a frequency much like a contest or pile up although having to tune each signal to clarify.
I am guessing that more then one digital signal can occupy the same frequency, this would be perfect for my use as in a conference call situation without heterodynes as in am or cb.
Aug 16th 2015, 01:29

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://serverfault.com/questions/192905/whats-the-maximum-number-of-wifi-connections-for-a-single-wifi-router
Ideally, you have a lot of bandwidth to start off with, so it isn't too slow if you divide among or dozen or two users.

Zack W1VT
Aug 26th 2015, 23:19

wd6ejn

Since I am just receive one (wide digital) channel and don't care about having the full duplex capability of the router.
Can I just have a digital receiver pick up the wireless microphones around the block then discriminate the ifs' for use as voice overs on an lpfm (not part 15) radio station then rather then needing the (what I assume is a full duplex) uplink transmitter of the router?
P.S. I haven't finished many projects in the last ten years or so!! I can dream can't I.
Aug 27th 2015, 15:35

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.churchmedia.net/forums/microphones/
Wireless microphones are commonly used in churches--here is a forum with a lot of discussion that you may find helpful

Zack W1VT

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn