ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Need much advice please

Jul 26th 2015, 11:59

KC3EDP

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Anyone who may offer suggestions how I may improve and actually make a SSB contact with my Yaesu 817nd. I have had no luck with this radio. Only recent PSK31, two contacts. Am running power supply. Antenna is multi band dipole 20/40 meters. Model 2B2040LQ at 44 feet.
Antenna is horizontal. Would a inverted V help at all?
Jul 26th 2015, 17:33

W1VT

Super Moderator

An inverted V isn't likely to help unless you get it much higher.

Making QRP contacts on SSB is hard--it is even harder in the middle of the summer when many hams have other activities. Band conditions are better in the Spring and Fall--so is activity.

Contests can be a good time for a QRPer to make SSB contacts--stations build really big antennas so they can work as many stations as possible--experienced contests will dig for weak stations when things slow down--the 2nd day can be very good for QRPers if the band conditions are good.

Zack W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer
Aug 31st 2015, 23:20

AC4RD

Zack is right, the 817 isn't a powerhouse on SSB ... I've had some pleasant surprises with mine, but it takes time and patience. Contests are always a great way to rack up contacts quickly--the serious contesters WANT to work you and they'll work to pull you out, if they can. The PSK contests are also great opportunities--PSK levels the field a bunch, since very few people are using much power!

There's nothing inherently wrong with the 817 itself; on CW I've worked VK and ZL sitting in a lawn chair in my back yard, using a small gel-cell for power--now THAT is fun! :-)

Keep trying, amigo, and don't expect immediate results! 73 GL! --ken ac4rd

Apr 4th 2016, 15:30

bkhoury

QRP is a blast and I am making lots of contacts with 5 watts. I have only three pieces of equipment and they work very well. 1) Yaesu 857D turned down to 5 watts 2) Deep cycle battery 3) Alpha Magnetic Coax Loop Antenna. With just these three items I can quickly (5min) setup anywhere, usually a park picnic table. I live in Bradenton, FL and have made contacts with good signal reports to Wisconsin, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Tennessee, etc. As far as antennas go, I love the Alpha Loop because it sets up in a few minutes. Keep it simple and have fun. N4BDK

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn