ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

FM operation for ARRL VHF June Contest

Jun 12th 2015, 19:50

KX1W

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
There is an FM only category for tomorrow's VHF contest. Does that mean contacts on 6 meters should be through repeaters only? Are repeater contacts allowed? (I know they're not for VUCC).

Tnx, Ron Fish, KX1W
Jun 13th 2015, 18:32

W1VT

Super Moderator

3.9. Contacts made through repeaters, digipeaters, or gateways are not permitted.

3.9.1. This applies to all forms of active relays or repeaters.
3.9.2. Satellite contacts, where allowed, are not subject to this rule.
Jun 26th 2015, 02:56

WD3D

You are an amateur extra class ham and you did not know that you cannot use repeaters in a contest?
Jul 6th 2015, 16:30

AI4BJ

No need to get snarky with Ron, Gerald. Contest rules are not part of the Extra class question pool, nor should they be, as contesting is an entirely optional activity within amateur radio. If and when a ham decides to participate in a contest, then yes, it certainly behooves him/her to become acquainted with the rules for that contest.

Mark AI4BJ
Aug 6th 2015, 19:04

KX1W

Gerald (WD3D), my license class has nothing to do with my contesting question (as AI4BJ points out). I have not operated a VHF contest, and the only 6m FM operation I was familiar with was through repeaters. Obviously it's for simplex operation.
Aug 13th 2015, 15:50

WD3D

KX1W ( Ron ) do you have to be spoon fed everything?

Maybe you are unfamiliar with the rules, but you have the internet and you can do a search for the rules and you can read - right...
According to your QRZ page, you have been a ham since 1971..
Unfortunately, having a license and being an active ham is two separate things!

AI4BJ ( Mark) - if you had bothered to look at Ron's QRZ page, he claims to be an old ham!
Maybe contests are not a part of the question pool for the Amateur Extra Class License, but the band plan is an essential part of the question pool, especially in the Technician Class Portion of the license examination...

It seems that Ron didn't know the band plan and didn't know that there is a Simplex band plan within the band plan for FM use!

How can you operate properly if you don't know the band plan..

I came across this situation recently during the last VHF contest in June! There was a group of people operating digital modes around 50.185 MHz.. Definitely in the SSB Phone portion of the band plan..

Unfortunately the test exams are set up where all a person does is regurgitate a list of known questions and answers to get their license and the license process doesn't involve any actual knowledge of the material..

Mar 8th 2021, 10:05

WB5EMX

Be kind to one another, please.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn