ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

Remote Stations count for DXCC

Jan 23rd 2015, 13:30

K8YYY

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
Larry Fravel K8YYY - Only contacts made from your station - not some remote super station - should ever count for Honor Roll, DXCC,WAS,WAC, WAZ, any contest award, or any other thing like those. I have spent since 1986 getting to where with one more outstanding QSL card I will finally be able to make the honor roll on Phone. I sweated out contacts, chased DXpeditions and fought pile ups to get there on all the above. I do not have a super station or a lot of big antennas. I started out with a home made rotatable dipole for 10 meters and confirmed 258 countries - some even rare DX by fighting to get through the pile ups. I worked my butt off to achieve these awards and now the League says that Remote Station QSO's can count. and all you have to do is not even have your own rig but just log onto some site via your computer and start working countries. Makes me want to rethink being a life member. This is completely ridculous. Looks like 160 meter DXCC can be had for a log in now. I will continue to do it the old fashioned way. I will earn it and when I do I will hold my head up proudly and look anyone in the eye and say I did it the way it should be done. If live in an antenna restricted area that is your choice. You want to work DX find someplace you can put up antennas. You had to know that would be problem when a) you either got your license or b) had a license and moved there anyway. Don't trivialize the efforts of everyone including me that took the time to do it the way it should be done - by setting up a station - big or small and actually working to get the award.
Mar 14th 2015, 15:13

n0ypd2

I am one that will not work remote stations.To me it's cheating.
Aug 26th 2017, 13:49

WD5IQR

How do you know if they are remote?
Apr 29th 2019, 16:43

k1vsk

A lot of people feel that way too about using remote stations. Too bad no one from the League has explained the rationale and purpose for allowing it. Among the Dx’ers I know who are numerous, the consensus seems unanimous this cheapens the entire DXCC award.

Does no one from the League respond here?
Apr 30th 2019, 09:21

W1VT

Super Moderator

http://www.arrl.org/news/arrl-board-okays-changes-to-dxcc-program-vhf-and-above-contesting-rules
According to ARRL CEO David Sumner, K1ZZ, the changes are subtle but significant.

APR 2015 - QST (PG. 9)
Remote Operating
(It Seems to Us)
Author: Sumner, David, K1ZZ
The ARRL pays Pagesuite to provide apps for viewing recent QST content.
http://www.arrl.org/qst

If you want to talk to someone about this I suggest either your DXAC representative or your Divison Director.

http://www.arrl.org/dx-advisory-committee
May 2nd 2019, 14:36

k1vsk

Thanks for the response but the link doesn’t explain the rationale nor the purpose of allowing such contacts to be accredited. Neither can our DXAC rep or DD who were not involved. Can no one at the League add any clarity?
May 2nd 2019, 14:42

W1VT

Super Moderator

Bill Moore NC1L would be the logical person to contact about the politics involved, as he was the ARRL DXCC and Awards manager at the time, but he became a silent key in 2016.

The only HQ staff that would remember DXCC issues like that after five years have either moved on to retirement or other employment opportunities.
Aug 4th 2019, 12:16

k1vsk

It's astonishing no one from the League can explain the League's policy.
Aug 9th 2019, 08:33

W1VT

Super Moderator

It could be that in the absence of a published policy, ARRL members will constantly and frequently ask HQ staff for opinions in order to settle disputes between members. Any published policy will ease the burden on HQ staff, allowing programs to run more efficiently, reducing costs to our members.

Zak Lau W1VT
ARRL Senior Lab Engineer

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn