ARRL

Register Account

Login Help

Forum Home - Rules - Help - Login - Forgot Password
Members can access, post and reply to the forums below. Before you do, please first read the RULES.

WiFi Remote Control

Apr 15th 2014, 21:17

KS5KIP

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
I'm a new General Ham planning a station. My station will be located in a new metal shop building 250' from my residence. I have a computer in the shop that has an Alpha 1 watt transmitter and directional antenna that communicates Wi-Fi to the house modem and it connects to the internet well. I would like to control my radio remotely from my computer in the house when I'm not at the shop. All remote control systems I see are through the internet and I don't want to use the internet, I want use my in house Wi-Fi system. I have not purchased a radio as of yet and I don't understand the compatibility of radios used with remote systems. I've read mixed reviews and the aftermarket suppliers are either vague in their answers or don't respond to email inquiries. The radios that I am attracted to based on advertised specifications are the ICOM 718, ICOM 7000 and the Kenwood TS-2000. Surely, some have gone down this road and can add suggestions.
Apr 15th 2014, 22:03

aa6e

Total Topics: 0
Total Posts: 0
The "Internet" is just a bunch of connected networks, and each one is like your own local wi-fi network. Any remote control system that works over the Internet is presumably using TCP/IP (or UDP) protocols that would work equally well on your local network. So that shouldn't be a problem. The easiest remote arrangement for the radio would be to get a radio that directly supports Ethernet remote operation - for control and audio in/out. But that's only part of the problem. You may need other functions for antenna switching, rotators, etc.

EXPLORE ARRL

Instragram     Facebook     Twitter     YouTube     LinkedIn